Jaya Prada, an Indian Actress, Dancer & Politician was born on 03-04-1962 in Rajahmundry, East Godavari in the state of Andhra Pradesh, India as Lalitha Rani Rao. She is popularly known for her work in Telugu & Hindi cinema as well as Tamil, Kannada, Malayalam, Bengali & Marathi movies. She joined politics in 1994.
Next, we will discuss age, qualification, career, achievements, affairs, family, and lesser-known facts about actress Jaya Prada.
|Other Names||Jaya Prada Nahata, Jaya, Lalitha Rani Rao, Lalitha Rao, Lalitha|
|Profession||Film Actress, Dancer, Television Actress, Television Presenter, Television Personality & Politician|
|Appearance||Telugu, Bollywood, Tamil, Kannada, Malayalam, Bengali, Marathi|
|Birth Place||Rajahmundry, East Godavari, Andhra Pradesh, India|
|Age||61 Years Old (as of 12-08-2023)|
|Film Debut||Telugu Film – Bhoomi Kosam (1974)|
Tamil Film – Manmatha Leelai (1976)
Kannada Film – Sanaadi Appanna (1977)
Bollywood Film – Sargam (1979)
Malayalam Film – Iniyum Katha Thudarum (1985)
Bengali Film – Aami Sei Meye (1998)
Marathi Film – Aadhar (2000)
|TV Debut||Jayapradam (as a host)|
|Best Known for||Anthuleni Katha, Siri Siri Muvva, Sagara Sangamam, Sargam, Sharaabi, Sanjog|
Jaya Prada worked predominantly in Telugu & Hindi cinema. She was a trained classical dancer and participated in her school’s functions. Film director, K. B. Tilak was seen her dance at a school function and offered a film.
She got a chance to work in K. B. Tilak’s Telugu film “Bhoomi Kosam” in 1974 at the age of 12, in which she performed dance. Her first film as a lead actress was “Anthuleni Katha“, directed by K. Balachander and released on 27-02-1976. In the same year, she was seen as a lead actress in K. Viswanath’s Telugu film “Siri Siri Muvva“. For both films, she received Filmfare Special Jury Award for Best Actress in 1976 and became the most influential actress of the 1970s.
Film director K. Viswanath launched her in the Bollywood film “Sargam” in 1979 by remaking his Telugu film “Siri Siri Muvva”. The film “Sargam” received breakthrough success in Hindi cinema and received the 27th Filmfare Awards for Best Film.
She then never look back and gave several hit movies to Indian cinema including Sagara Sangamam, Sharaabi, Sanjog, Tohfa, Swarag Se Sunder, Aaj Ka Arjun, Awaaz, and much more. She worked on around 200 movies.
Jaya made a small screen debut through a talk show “Jayapradam“, in which she interviewed several hit celebrities. She appeared in several tv reality shows including Indian Idol, The Kapil Sharma Show, Hunarbaaz, and Drama Juniors. She also worked in the television serial “Perfect Pati” or “Sasural Simar Ka 2”.
She entered politics in 1994 and joined the political party TDP. She served as Rajya Sabha MP from 1996 to 2002 and Lok Sabha MP from 2004 to 2014. She joined BJP on 26-03-2019.
Highlights of Political Career
- She became the Rajya Sabha MP on 10-04-1996 and completed her 5 years term journey successfully.
- She became the Lok Sabha MP on 13-05-2004 from Rampur constituency with a margin of around 85k votes and completed her journey of two terms till 16-05-2014.
- She lost the 2014 general elections from Bijnor constituency.
- She entered in political party “BJP” on 26-03-2019.
Jaya Prada studied at Telugu Medium School in Rajahmundry. She also learned dance and music at her school. She attended Kandukuri Rajyalakshmi College for Women in Rajahmundry and dropped out her graduation to pursue her career in acting.
|School||Telugu Middle School, Rajahmundry|
|College||Kandukuri Rajyalakshmi College for Women, Rajahmundry|
B.Com. (dropped out)
Body Measurement/Physical Appearance
|Height||in Feet Inches- 5’ 1”|
in centimeters: 157 cm
in meters: 1.57 m
|Weight||65 Kgs (143 lbs)|
|Eye Colour||Dark brown|
- Jaya Prada is an Indian Film Actress, Dancer, Television Actress, Television Presenter, Television Personality & Politician.
- She is a trained classical dancer since her childhood.
- She is considered one of the most beautiful faces to have ever graced Indian cinema.
- The veteran film director Satyajit Ray called her the “Most Beautiful Face of Indian Cinema“.
- She got a chance to enter Indian cinema through her dance performance.
- She became the star of Indian cinema in 1976 at the age of 14 with her acting performance in Two Telugu films “Anthuleni Katha” & “Siri Siri Muvva” and won the Filmfare Special Jury Award of the Year for Best Actress. It was her 1st Filmfare Award.
- She wanted to become a doctor, but after receiving audience love as an actress, she dropped out of her graduation in between.
- She made her Bollywood debut in K. Viswanath’s film “Sargam” in 1979, which was the remake of her superhit Telugu film “Siri Siri Muvva“. The film received the 27th Filmfare Award for Best Film of the Year.
- She won the Filmfare Award South for Best Actress for her 1983’s film “Sagara Sangamam“. It was her 2nd Filmfare Award.
- She joined politics in 1994 and entered in political party Telugu Desam Party (TDP).
- In 2007, she was honored with Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award South. It was her 3rd Filmfare Award.
- She entered in Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on 26-03-2019.
Jaya Prada’s Family
|Affair/Boyfriend||Srikanth Nahata (film producer)|
|Husband||Srikanth Nahata (Marriage date: 22-02-1986)|
She was born to a homemaker mother Neelaveni Rao and a film financier father Krishna Rao. She has a brother named Raja Babu. She married producer Srikanth Nahata on 22-02-1986. She has no biological child. She is the stepmother of Srikanth Nahata’s three children from his first wife Chandra.
She dated film producer Srikanth Nahata, before marriage with him.
|Home Town||Rajahmundry, East Godavari, Andhra Pradesh, India|
|Residence||H.No.46 District A.V.K., Near Saint Merry School Rahe Raja, Rampur, Tehsil Sadar, District Rampur (U.P.)|
|Best Friend||Sridevi, NTR, Jeetendra, Rishi Kapoor, Amitabh Bachchan|
|Email Address||[email protected]|
|Contact Number||+91 9915577767|
|Salary||INR 1 Lac+allowances|
|Net Worth||$4 Million (approx)|
|Favorite Colour||Red, Yellow, Golden|
|Favorite Singer||Lata Mangeshkar|
|Favorite Actor||Amitabh Bachchan|
|Favorite Director||K. Viswanath, K. Balachander|
|Favorite Fim||3 Idiots|
|Favorite TV Show||KBC|